416 Atmospheric Sciences-Geophysics Building
Atmospheric sciences is a wide-ranging discipline that includes topics as diverse as weather forecasting, global warming, air quality, Pacific Northwest weather and climate, mountain weather, marine weather, El Nino, the ozone hole, ice ages, and the weather of Mars. It considers problems that are both scientifically challenging and critical for the welfare of modern society. These problems are addressed with theory, measurements, and computer simulations.
416 Atmospheric Sciences-Geophysics Building, Box 351640
The Department of Atmospheric Sciences offers the following programs of study:
Bachelor of Science
Suggested First- and Second-Year Courses: ATM S 220; MATH 124, MATH 125, MATH 126; PHYS 121, PHYS 122, PHYS 123; CSE 142. The first upper-division core course is ATM S 301, which is offered autumn quarter only. Any lower-division atmospheric sciences courses except ATM S 220 count as electives and not as part of the major.
Department Admission Requirements
Students in good academic standing may declare this major at any time.
Minimum 97-117 credits as follows:
- Core requirements (58-59 credits): MATH 124, MATH 125, MATH 126; PHYS 121, PHYS 122, PHYS 123; either STAT 390/MATH 390, or Q SCI 381; ATM S 220, ATM S 301, ATM S 321, ATM S 340, ATM S 341, ATM S 370, ATM S 431.
- Meteorology (42-45 credits)
- Core (33 credits): AMATH 301; ATM S 358, ATM S 441, ATM S 442, ATM S 444, ATM S 451, ATM S 452; CSE 142
- Advanced Mathematics (9-12 credits): MATH 324; either AMATH 351 and AMATH 353 or MATH 307, MATH 308, and MATH 309
- Core (27-29 credits): AMATH 301; ATM S 358, ATM S 380, ATM S 460, ATM S 487; CSE 142; either ESS 431 or ESS 433; either OCEAN 423 or OCEAN 450
- Electives (12-20 credits): minimum four courses from an approved list. See adviser for approved list of electives.
- Climate (39-49 credits)
- Core (40 credits): ATM S 451, ATM S 458, ATM S 480; CHEM 142, CHEM 152, CHEM 162, CHEM 223, CHEM 224, CHEM 321
- Electives (12-18 credits): minimum four courses from an approved list. See adviser for approved list of electives.
- Chemistry (52-58 credits)
- Minimum 2.0 grade in courses applied to the major
Pre-graduate Program for Physical Science, Mathematics, and Engineering Majors
The following elective course sequence is suitable preparation for students interested in pursuing graduate study in atmospheric sciences: ATM S 301, ATM S 340, ATM S 441.
Minor Requirements: 25 credits to include ATM S 301 plus other approved courses. The minor may include a maximum of 6 independent study credits. Prerequisites include...