City of Bakersfield Waste Management

December 22, 2013

For a List of Recycling

What IS NOT ACCEPTED at the Special Waste Facility?


Ammunition and explosives are not accepted at any of our Special Waste Facilities. For legal disposal instructions, please contact the Kern County Sheriff’s Department at (661) 861-3110.

Friable Asbestos

Asbestos is typically found in roofing materials, flooring such as linoleum and vinyl, transite pipe and other similar products manufactured before 1979. This type of asbestos material is a hazardous waste, crumbles easily and we do not accept this material at any Kern County Landfill, Transfer Station, Bin Site or Special Waste Facility.

Friable Asbestos must be taken to a Class 1 or 2 landfill. For more information contact:

Class 1 Landfill: CLEAN HARBORS 661-762-6200

Class 2 Landfill: McKittrick 661-762-7366

Or check the Yellow Pages or online under Asbestos Abatement and Removal Services.

Non-Friable Asbestos

Non-friable Asbestos is NOT ACCEPTED at County Special Waste Facilities. However, Kern County has a Residential and Business Program for the disposal of Non-Friable Asbestos at the Bena Landfill and Ridgecrest Landfill.

Residential Program Procedures for Non-friable asbestos:

  1. Appointments are accepted on the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of the each month beginning at 9:00 AM.
  2. Call the Kern County Waste Management Department at 661-862-8900, at least24 hours in advance, to schedule an appointment.
  3. Customers must have the non-friable asbestos items(s) double wrapped or double bagged with a heavy duty plastic or trash bag.

Hours of acceptance are as follows:

Bena Landfill – 1st and 3rd Wednesday of every month BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. Please call Waste Management at (661) 862-8900. The Bena Landfill is located 17 miles east of Bakersfield, off Hwy. 58 at Tower Line Road.

Ridgecrest landfill – Monday through Thursday BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. Call call (661) 862-8900 to schedule an appointment. The Ridgecrest Landfill is located 5 miles southwest of Ridgecrest, at 3301 Bowman Road.

Medical Waste

Call Kern County Environmental Health Services at (661) 862-8700 for information regarding the correct disposal of medical waste.

Pesticide Containers

The commercial triple-rinsed pesticide container program for the Central Valley region is administered by Ag Container Recycling Council. Kern County Waste Management, in conjunction with the Agriculture Department, will continue to administer the program in Ridgecrest. Contact us at (661) 862-8900 for more details.

Waste Management: Mack MR/ Mcneilus Tag-Axle Rear Loader
Waste Management: Mack MR/ Mcneilus Tag-Axle Rear Loader
Edmonton Waste Management
Edmonton Waste Management
Waste Management Wittke Crocodile ASL 101451 (El Cajon Part 1)
Waste Management Wittke Crocodile ASL 101451 (El Cajon Part 1)

Share this Post