The City of Madison operates two self help drop off sites accept large items, recycling, refuse, rigid plastics, electronics, cooking oil, yard waste, and brush. Sites can be utilized ONLY by City of Madison residents and property owners. Contractors are not allowed to use the drop-off site. Proof of residency and/or property ownership is required in order to use the facilities.
Before you put an item out for collection, or dropping it at the our sites, consider donating reusable items to a charity, or posting them to give away or sell at the Madison Stuff Exchange.
The 1501 W. Badger Rd. and 4602 Sycamore sites are now open winter hours, Monday to Friday from 7:30 a.m. until 3:00 p.m.
The 402 South Point Rd site is closed for the season.
Hours of Operation
- Monday 8:30am - 4:30pm
- Tuesday 8:30am - 8:00pm
- Wednesday 8:30am - 4:30pm
- Thursday 8:30am - 8:00pm
- Friday 8:30am - 4:30pm
- Saturday 8:30am - 4:30pm
- Sunday 8:30am - 4:30pm
The City of Madison self-help drop off sites will be closed on the following holidays:
- January 18th, Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday
- May 30th, Memorial Day
- July 4th, Independence Day
- September 5th, Labor Day
- November 24th & 25th, Thanksgiving Holiday
- December 24th, Christmas Eve the sites close at 11 a.m.
- December 25th, Christmas Day
- December 31st, New Year's Eve the sites close at 11 a.m.
- January 1st, New Year's Day
Material AcceptedNote: While we make every effort to serve our customers, the City of Madison drop off sites are not designed to handle large volume customers. Some materials, such as building material and sod, have specific limits (see below).
The sites are not able to handle large loads of brush, refuse, or large items. There is a limit of one pick-up and/or small trailer load of material each day. If you have more material, you are welcome to return on another day, place the material at the curb for collection, or take large items and refuse to the Dane County Landfill. Large volumes of brush can be taken to our Brush Processing Center. See below for details and fees.
Business customers please note that our curbside limit of 4 95-gallon carts or their equivalent per week applies to the drop off sites as well. Residents and business customers with large volumes of material to dispose of may want to consider hauling it to the Dane County Landfill.
- Brush (There is a limit of one pick up truck loads or trailer load of brush per day.)
- CD's, DVD's (and their jewel cases), and floppy discs
- (includes holiday lights.)
- Vehicle Batteries (cars, truck, motorcycles, etc.)
- Scrap Metal for recycling
- : (including furniture, carpeting, tires without rims, and small tree stumps.)
Note: A fee is charged for disposal of tires, certain appliances, and other large items at the self help sites. Go to the Appliance Collection page for more details.