This apprenticeship trains you to maintain and repair mechanised equipment used in agriculture, horticulture and other land-based industries.
You’ll train as a technician and learn how to maintain a variety of machines. The exact nature of your work will depend on your employer – land-based engineers can work on:
- complex agricultural machinery like tractors, combine harvesters, sprayers, planters and cultivators
- ground care machinery like mowers, compact tractors
- forestry machinery like chainsaws, wood chippers
- fixed machinery like milking equipment
- construction machinery like trucks and mini diggers
You’ll develop a thorough understanding of agricultural principles, and plenty of technical know-how.
Types of apprenticeships
There are 2 types of land-based engineering apprenticeships.
Intermediate level apprenticeship
You could train in roles like:
- sports/groundcare technician
- service technician
Advanced level apprenticeship
You’ll learn how to diagnose and repair more complex faults in roles like:
- independent technician
- workshop supervisor