PA Law, Act 101, Mandates Trash & Recycling Program
On August 7, 1991, pursuant to Act 101, Elizabethtown Borough started its trash and recycling program. Please see below for details of the program.
Trash and Recycling Program Services:
Curbside Weekly Trash Collection - one 32 gallon container (bag or can) per week limit.
* Additional bags or cans require Extra Service Tags at a cost of $2.00 each.
* Extra Service Tags for refuse containers can be purchased at the Borough Office or at local distributors such as convenience and grocery stores.
* Cardboard boxes filled with trash will not be accepted. Residents must use a bag or trash can for trash disposal.
* Trash containers must be 32 gallons or less and weigh less than 30 pounds.
* Trash collection days will be a Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday schedule.
Curbside Recycling For your convenience, the Borough Office will now supply, free of charge, 8" Circle Recycling Symbol Stickers to be used on containers being used for recycling that do not have the symbol already printed on them. The green recycling bins will no longer be available at the Borough Office. You may continue to use them or you may use any plastic container - 32 gallon or less - that has a Recycling Symbol Sticker adhered. This means you may even use a full size trash can with a lid if you choose to! 8" Circle Recycling Symbol Stickers are available to residents at the Borough Office between the hours of 7:30 am and 4:00 pm. If you are using a tub or container that does not have the symbol on it, we encourage you to stop in for your stickers.
Brandt's Farm Supply, located at 601 E High Street, Elizabethtown will now be carrying recycling containers and several different 32 gallon trash containers! If you purchase one of the larger containers for your recycling that do not already have the recycling symbol on it, Brandt's will give you two Recycling Symbol Stickers for that container!
Recyclable materials (glass, plastics, aluminum, steel cans, newspapers, paper, paperboard, and magazines, etc.) will be collected curbside. Simply place in your recycling container and put out beside your trash.
We also accept cardboard at the curb and will be picked up on your regular trash day, residents may put any size of cardboard out with their recycling, but it MUST be flat. It also must be easy for loaders to handle. If it will not fit in your recycling container, a stack can be placed at the curb beside your recycling container, but please bundle it so pieces don't blow away or slip when the loader picks it up. Pizza boxes, office paper and other things may be placed in your recycle bin.
Curbside Oversized Refuse Collection - one oversized item collected per week.
* Simply place your oversized item curbside with your trash.
* Oversized items are items that are too big for the trash container.
Acceptable oversized items include:
Carpet (48 inches maximum length rolled and tied)
Furniture (limited to 6 feet in length and no sleeper sofas)
Plumbing fixtures, such as toilets and sinks
Discarded lawnmowers (gasoline and oil must be removed)
Scrap metal (48 inches maximum length)
* No items too heavy to be lifted into a truck by two people will be accepted.
* Please keep in mind that additional trash bags are not considered oversized items. Bags or cardboard boxes filled with trash are not oversized items.
* Anything that can fit in a 32-gallon trash container (bag or can), no matter how much space it utilizes in the container, is not considered an oversized item.
* Refuse exceeding the one 32-gallon container (bag or can) that is not an oversized item and not marked with an extra service tag will not be collected.
This service is being provided to assist Borough residents with disposing of refuse items of irregular size that do not fit in the regular trash container. Thank you for your cooperation.
Curbside Christmas Tree Collection - collected once a year on a specific date. Please remove all bags, tinsel, and decorations from the tree prior to placing the tree curbside.
Curbside Leaf Collections - four curbside leaf collections each Fall. The upcoming dates are listed in the calendar in the Public Information section.