How to get to the center
The Wayne County Recycling Center is located on Rt. 652 in Berlin Township, Wayne County. The Center is approximately (1.7) miles northeast of the intersection of Rt. 6 and Rt. 652, between Indian Orchard and Beach Lake. There is a large white sign with blue lettering (Volunteer Drive Complex) marking the entrance to the facility.
Hours of operation
The Recycling Center is open:
Monday-Friday From 7:00 AM-4:30 PM
Saturday From 7:00 AM-1:00 PM
Randy S. Heller – Solid Waste Director
Mary K. VanPatten – Recycling Coordinator
The County owned and operated Recycling Center, in Berlin Township is geographically located in the center of the County, on County property. It serves as the main collection and processing facility in the County system. It also houses the administrative offices of the entire Solid Waste Department.
Materials collected through the countywide drop off program are delivered to the Recycling Center, where they are processed and prepared for delivery to various markets. The Center also serves as a public drop off site for residential, as well as commercial entities throughout the County. The County’s recycling program is “Source Separated” in nature, whereby materials are separated by the homeowner and then placed in appropriate containers.
Glass Bottles (Clear, Brown & Green)
- Empty and rinse
- Discard caps & tops
- Do not include with glass bottles: windows, mirrors, light bulbs, white glass, dishes, drinking glasses, Pyrex, heat tempered glass or ceramics.
- All food and beverage cans (aluminum & tin)
- Labels may stay on
- Do not include with metal cans: pie plates, foil, paint cans, aerosol cans, pots & pans, fuel tanks, coat hangers or other metal items.
- (Bottles marked with #1 or #2 on the bottom)
- Discard caps
- Do not include with plastic bottles: plastic bags, tubs, trays, toys or other plastic items (even if they are labeled #1 or #2), Styrofoam, plastic bottles labeled with #3, #4, #5, #6 or #7 on bottom or motor oil bottles.
- Includes clean newspapers and newspaper inserts
- Keep dry, clean and out of sunlight
- Place in neat stacks and tie with heavy string or twine
- Do not tie with plastic, wire, cloth or pantyhose
- May also be placed in brown grocery bags
- Do not include with newspapers: phone books, junk mail, cardboard or magazines
- Includes: catalogs, magazines, phone books and junk mail
- Tie with heavy string or twine separately from newspaper
- Do not include with magazines: cardboard, newspapers, hard or paper-back books
- Such as: hot water heaters, furnaces, BBQ grills, microwave ovens, metal desks, lawn mowers (all fluids drained), bicycle frames, lawn chair frames, old swing set frames, etc.
Cardboard & Chipboard (Can be mixed together)
- Such as: cereal boxes, tissue boxes, shoe boxes, gift boxes, dry & frozen food boxes, paper product end rolls & corrugated cardboard boxes.
- Please remove all bag inserts and flatten boxes
- Do not include with chipboard: soda and beer packs (considered “wet strength” and are treated with a chemical that will not break down in water), bag inserts from cereal boxes, pizza boxes (because of grease), dishwasher soap boxes & laundry detergent boxes (wax inside), ice cream boxes (wax inside), drink boxes (wax inside), milk boxes (wax inside)
- Includes; televisions, computer towers, monitors, laptops, and other items such as, radios, stereos, DVD players, printers, fax machines, copiers, etc.
- Commercial establishments must call in advance to schedule an appointment to drop off electronics if they have more than (10) items.
- We accept appliances such as: refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, dehumidifiers and ice makers that contain refrigerant. For a nominal fee of $10.00 per unit, residents can drop off these appliances knowing that the refrigerants will be safely evacuated by trained and certified personnel.
Wayne County Tire Recycling Program
- Mon. – Fri. 7AM-4:30PM * Sat. 7AM – 1PM
- (P) Passenger vehicle or (LT) Light Truck tires: $3.00 off rim, $5.00 mounted on rim
- Commercial, agricultural or industrial tires: $10.00 off rim, $20.00 mounted on rim
- All large Tire Pricing is also subject to size and weight as determined by the
Wayne County Recycling Center
- All prices subject to change by W.C.R.C
- Wayne County Residents Only! Call 570-253-9727 for more information
- We now take textiles, which include all clothing items, accessories such as belts, gloves, hats purses etc., household linens; such as sheets, blankets, drapes, towels, etc. Just place your bagged items in the green and white USAgain bins.
Backyard Composting Program
Through the Act 101 grant program, administered by the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection, Wayne County developed a Backyard Composting Display Area, which is on display at the Wayne County Recycling Center. Visitors can view the many different types of manufactured or homemade composting devices, which are on display. Literature regarding the various devices, as well as composting in general can be obtained at the Center by those that are interested.
Christmas Tree Recycling
Each year after Christmas, the Recycling Center accepts old Christmas trees from county residents. Thanks to the donation of a chipper from a local businessman, the trees are chipped into mulch.
Municipal Drop Off Sites
In order to meet the recycling needs of all county residents, Wayne County developed and implemented a countywide system of drop off sites, which are strategically located throughout the County. Currently there are (15) municipal sites that are staffed by local volunteers, and are open on various Saturdays throughout the month. The County provides roll off containers and collection & processing services to these sites. The materials are processed at the County facility, where they are then shipped to market. The following materials are accepted at the drop off sites: clear, brown & green glass bottles, metal cans, aluminum cans, #1 and #2 plastic bottles, newspapers, magazines and junk mail & office paper. Materials are to be dropped off only during operating hours. The following is a list of all municipal sites, including location, operating hours and phone numbers:
Bethany – Bethany Public Library lot, Bethany 4th Saturday of the month (9:00 AM – 12:00 PM) 253-1624
Damascus – Damascus Township Building 2nd Saturday of the month (9:00 AM – 1:00 PM) 224-4410
Dreher – Dreher Township Building, Newfoundland 2nd Saturday of the month (9:00 AM – 12:00 PM) 676-4976