At Mount Isinglas Recreational Area
Rochester Neck Road
Gonic, NH 03869
- Managed by Waste Managment.
- Watson's Way: 1.4 miles loop.
- Locke's Local Loop: 1.3 miles loop.
- Luanne's Lane: 3.5 miles each way.
- Maps and interpretive guides are available at the trailhead for self guided tours that cover the local flora, fauna and local history of the area.
- Walking/hiking, biking, snowshoeing, cross country skiing.
- Leashed dogs allowed.
Gonic Trails, Rochester
Three separate trails wind through this forested property skirting the Isinglass River off Rochester Neck Road. Locke’s Local Loop and Watson’s Way are both loop trails measuring close to 1.5 miles in length, while Luanne’s Lane is 3.5 miles each way. Owned by Waste Management and located adjacent to the Turnkey Landfill in the Mount Isinglass Recreational Area, the wooded trails include a mix of deciduous and evergreen trees. You might not expect to find scenic hiking next to a landfill, but Waste Management’s Turnkey Recycling & Environmental Enterprises has done a remarkable job of maintaining the trails and preserving the natural beauty of these shaded woods. The Isinglass River is smooth and reflective, and the trails are open year-round for fall leaf-peeping or winter snowshoeing. Mountain biking is also permitted, and leashed dogs are allowed on the trails.