Oakland's Residential Trash, Compost and Recycling Program for Single-Family Homes and 2-4 Unit Apartment Buildings is a three-cart program:
Oakland's Residential Recycling Program for Multi-Family buildings (5+ units) is a three-container program:
How to Get Service:
Call (510) OAKLAND (625-5263) to replace or request a cart.
Garbage Rates for Residences & Businesses
More information about Oakland's Recycling Program:
Holiday Collection Schedule
There is no garbage, yard trimmings or recycling collection on New Year's Day, Thanksgiving Day nor on Christmas Day. During weeks when these holidays fall on a weekday, pickup is one day later for the rest of the week, including Satursday. For example, if your regular service day is Tuesday service will occur on Wednesday, or if your regular service day is Friday service will occur on on Saturday.
Garbage, recycling and yard trimmings collection schedules are not affected by any other holidays.
Exclusive Franchise Agreement with Waste Management
A number of Oakland businesses have raised questions about whom they may hire to provide solid waste collection and hauling services. In response to these inquiries, we are providing the following information about the City's solid waste ordinances and Waste Management of Alameda County's (WMAC) exclusive agreement for providing solid waste services in the City of Oakland.
Pursuant to Section 8.28.060 of the Oakland Municipal Code (excerpt following) and WMAC's exclusive solid waste agreement with the City of Oakland, WMAC has the exclusive right and duty to collect, transport, and dispose of all residential and commercial solid waste in the City of Oakland. The only exceptions to WMAC's exclusive agreement are:
- The collection of waste resulting from gardening or landscaping work, or construction or demolition work; provided that the service is performed by the same contractor or directly loaded into a fixed body vehicle and hauled directly to a permitted transfer station or disposal facility.
- Source separated recyclable materials, which are, in fact, recycled; provided that
- Loads of mixed paper may contain no more than 10 percent by weight of non-recyclable material, and
- Loads of commingled recyclables other than mixed paper may not contain more than 5 percent by weight of non-recyclable materials.
- Animal waste and by-products of sewage treatment.
- Solid waste which is collected by City of Oakland crews.
- Solid waste hauled directly to a permitted transfer station or disposal facility by a person who is also the generator of the solid waste; and
- Recyclable materials that are donated to a youth, civic or charitable organization.
All other solid waste is required to be collected and disposed of by WMAC, the City's exclusive solid waste service provider. Please note that violation of Section 8.28.060 of the City's Municipal Code is punishable by administrative citations of up to $750.00 for the first issuance, $1, 000.00 for the second issuance, and $1, 500.00 for all subsequent issuances for any violations occurring within a calendar year. In addition, the City and/or WMAC have other legal remedies available that may be used.